Thursday, December 8, 2011

Laundry Room

We are taking a little break from working on the kitchen to work on a room that very much needs attention, the laundry room.  The laundry room is located in our basement in the second bathroom.  It's the only part of the basement that is unfinished and it was painted this wonderful pink color.  Okay, that was sarcasm.  I hated this room.  I hated the color, I hated how it was so unfinished, I hated all the network of copper pipe everywhere.  I just knew we had to do something.


Here's a little close up of the pink color.  It was so awful that I couldn't even get a good picture of it.  It reminded me of pepto bismol every time I had to do laundry.  


The doors are unpainted, there is copper pipes everywhere, the sink is stained and old.  I am not a fan of laundry as it is and this room didn't make it any easier.   It was just a sad, sad room.

 
So I busted out some of the paint the previous owner left us.  I added some white paint to make it a little bit lighter and went to town painting the walls blue.  The bathroom has blue tile, so I thought blue walls in here would look nice, and the paint was free!  The walls look purple in these pictures, but they are a light blue. 

I painted what I could reach with everything still in place and I've been waiting for a month or two now to have our pretty new utility sink installed to finish up.  But what to do with that plumbing?  So, J's dad came over and suggested that we re-plumb the room using pex so that we could get rid of the network of pipes.  It's a lot larger project then what we were expecting to do, but I guess we should probably just get it out of the way and get it done.  And the best part, J's dad can do plumbing (it's part of his job with the county) and J's uncle has all the tools and knowledge of pex.  Win!  We didn't have to hire a plumber to do the job.   

So here's what we plan to do in the laundry room.
  • Replace the copper pipes with pex
    • By replacing the pipes we can rerun a lot of them and clean up the space
  • Replace the utility sink with a new one with a vanity
  • Finish painting the walls
  • Texture the walls (hopefully will make them look less like cement basement walls)
  • Put in flooring (probably just vinyl)
  • Paint the doors
  • Figure out what to do with the ceiling
  • Maybe figure out a way to hid the litter box and still have Toonces use it 
  • Put up wall storage/shelves
I'll show you tomorrow what we accomplished in the laundry room.  It's not done, but it's coming along nicely.

No comments: