Thursday, September 15, 2011

Kitchen Update

Phew, it's been a while since I last updated this (and my other blog).  But we've been busy with the kitchen since last time.

Here is what we have so far.
Not bad, right?  The upper cabinets are done (sort of, more on that later), the floor is finished, and the walls and ceiling are painted. Looks pretty good if you ask me.  And there is even a little pug admiring how nice everything looks.

Here's what is it looked like when we first bought the house.


I told you it was a big difference.  The cheap floor is gone, the cabinet is gone, the cabinets are stained darker, the walls are not blue, the doorway is larger, and the hole is gone.  It's looking good so far.

But there is plenty that still needs to be done.

For one, this!  The cabinets are the original built in place ones, so when we took down the one blocking the view from the kitchen to the living room, we were left with this.  We saved some of the original wood, so we will be able to patch and it, we just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I'm hoping that project is coming soon.

We would also like to get matching appliances.  The current refrigerator is a bit to big for the space and the stove is a bit to small for the space.  So we're looking at moving the fridge to the other wall (perfect triangle set up for the kitchen) and then getting a larger, gas, stove.  We discovered that there is already a gas line in the kitchen, so that saves us the hassle of having to have one installed, yay.  So if anyone in the Madison area is looking to buy some appliances, let me know, we have a fridge, stove, and dishwasher we're looking to get rid of.  ;-)

We also have a little bit of trim left to put up.  Crown molding as well as trim between the wood wall color.  As I said before our cabinets are the built in place kind, so they go all the way to the ceiling.  So I took down the trim meant for our plate collection (I know what will we do with all of our plates), and painted (and textured) the upper half to look like the walls.  You would never know that there is oak under the paint when looking at them.  So we're going to add half round between the two to make it look a little more finished.  I can't wait to do that, maybe this weekend.  And get that crown molding in.

And as you can see the bottom cabinets still need to be sanded and stained as well as the side of the upper cabinets.  But I am so much more happy with the kitchen now then I was when we first moved in.  I never hated the kitchen, but now it's becoming something I love.  And as soon as we get a gas stove, you won't be able to get me out of the kitchen. 

No comments: