Thursday, May 3, 2012

B-day/Anniversary Update Number Two

Now that I've got all the food talk out of the way yesterday, I can move on to some other things.  Like what J got me and then how I ended up almost loosing a finger (not because my gift, just plain stupidity on my part).  I wanted to talk about our Ikea trip, but that will have to wait for another post.  Then I can show you the light we got for the back room.  You have no idea how much I'm in love with the new light.  I've wanted since the first time I laid eyes on it. 
   
But enough about that.  Here is what I got this past weekend.  I got me a new Kitchenaid stand mixer. Oh yeah baby. 

 
Well it wasn't a surprise gift.  I had been talking for a while on getting a new mixer, but was waiting for a deal.  And Sears just happen to have a awesome deal for there rewards members, so J went and picked it up for me.  I love getting kitchen gadgets.  And yes, I already had a Kitchenaid stand mixer that was just fine, but this one is bigger and more heavy duty.  And as J likes to point out, it matches the food processor (and I thought I was the one with OCD).  The first thing I made in it, Cupcakes.  Yum!!!
  
I also got this little guy.  I love getting and giving plants as gifts.  I think it's something that different and thoughtful.  He needs to be planted in his new pot, but he still looks pretty cute.  Oh and in less then three days, Toonces found where I was hiding him and snacked on almost every leaf.  I love plants, but they are almost impossible to keep in our house.  

And now on to the not so fun part of the weekend.  Yup, I almost chopped the tip of my thumb off.  How you ask, well like I said earlier, pure stupidity.

On Friday I had off work, so I decided to get a jump start on some late spring cleaning.  I took my lovely thrift store candle holders and cleaned them using the aluminum foil and baking soda trick.  It worked perfectly.  The tarnish came right off.  I mean look at them, beautiful.


Then while I was cleaning them, I cut my finger open on the rough edge of the base.  It bled and I was unhappy, but that was nothing like what I was going to do on Sunday.

I decided on Sunday to slice my thumb open.  I was getting a new chef's knife out of the package while talking to J.  You know, totally distracted from what I was doing.  I was having difficulty get the knife out, and all of a sudden, the knife popped out of the box and slide right down my thumb.  I guess it was good to know that the new knife was sharp.  Very, very very, sharp.    
 
If you don't like things like open wounds and blood, I suggest you look away now.







This picture doesn't do it justice, it was taken the day after it happened, so it was already starting to heal.  It's not the worst wound I've had, spitting my forehead open was much worse, but it was pretty bad.  It took all night for the bleeding to stop, and every time I changed the dressing, it would start to bleed again.  My thumb swelled and it turned black and blue eventually.  And my finger isn't full of hair, that is just fuzz from the gauze, it washed right off.  I've iced it and cleaned it daily.  It has started to scab over and heal up already.  It made me realize how often I use my thumb on my left hand.  Especially since I am very ambidextrous. 

But boy was that a scary moment, I thought we were going to have a late night ER trip, now that's a good birthday and anniversary. 

"What did you do for your birthday and anniversary?" 
"Oh nothing, just got into a knife fight and got stitches in my hand.  No big deal."  

That's what I would tell people.  I would embellish with the knife fight story, because telling someone that you weren't paying attention while opening the box of a new knife, doesn't sound as thrilling.      

It has put me out of commission on all projects.  But as soon as it's healed, I'm on house stuff like flies on honey!

Well that was a wrap up of our long weekend here.  Now I'm off.  Take care and remember to always stay creative!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I guess you always need a bit of bad news to balance out the good. Thank goodness it wasn't too bad!