Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Spring Storms and Birthdays

Well the strange weather of the Midwest is here a again.  We already had an extremely warm early spring, and now the storms are upon us.  It looks like we'll be having thunder storms for the next two days and 80+ degree days.  This just after a rainy, cold (50s) weekend.  But what did I expect?  My birthday always falls on a weekend that is cold and rainy or unseasonably warm.  Yes, my birthday was this past weekend, as well as our 8 year anniversary.  I can't believe it's been 8 years already.  Not that it's bad, just that time has soon flown by.

Cheese Curds - Pic from TasteSpotting.com
We didn't do anything that special, per my request.  I have been super stressed out at work (can we say anxiety attacks), so I just wanted to lay low and relax.  We took a long weekend and went out to dinner most nights, which we don't normally do.  We had a delicious dinner at The Old Fashioned here in Madison.  I highly recommend if you are ever in Madison so stop by the capital and eat at the Old Fashioned.  The food is spectacular and the beer selection is fantastic.  They have the BEST cheese curds around.  And the atmosphere is fun and festive (okay, it's loud, very loud).  And if you've tasted all the micro-brews, go for a Wisconsin Beer Bomb, which is a PBR in a chalice with a pickled egg in it.  You heard me, a pickled egg.  You gotta love WI.   Be warned, there will be a wait, there is always a wait, sometiems a long wait, but it is so worth it.  Once you try it, you'll be back.  Again and again.            

Not the mall we went to
We also took a day trip to Chicago to go shopping and just hang out together.  It was nice to just hang out and not have any set plans.  And then my favorite thing of the whole weekend, we stopped and got stuffed pizza.  Oh my, there is nothing like a Chicago stuffed pizza.  This is not deep dish we're talking about, this is a huge cheese stuffed pizza.  Oh my, I was in heaven.  We got a spinach one to go because it was already late and the rain had started, so we wanted to get home.  Madison has some fantastic food, almost all of it fresh and local, but they just don't have a stuffed pizza that comes close to what you get in Chicago.  If I miss my home town for anything, it's probably the food.  I miss more, but I miss the food the most.  Especially the pizza and the hot beef sandwiches.  Oh and the hotdogs.  Okay, I need to stop before I go on forever about the food.  And in case you're wondering, we do plan our trips back around food.  Who doesn't do that?            

     

That was how we spent my b-day. Nothing exciting, just the two of us hanging out. Something that we don't always have time to do. There are a few more things that happened this past weekend, but I'll save that for tomorrow.  I know you'll never be able to focus after looking at all that delicious food.  And I may have injured myself, and well, we wouldn't want to mix those pictures with food pictures. That would ruin the experience.

Take care and never stop being creative. 

2 comments:

Rose Clearfield said...

I'm glad that you had a good birthday! Sometimes low key celebrations are the best.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like our idea of a great time too! We love nothing more than a trip to the mall and a great meal out;) Glad you had a lovely birthday and had the time and space to relax!