Monday, June 18, 2012

A little backyard clean up

Wow, it's been a week since I posted last.  Bad blogger.  Well if I had to use an excuse, I have been super busy at work.  I've been going in early and leaving late just to get a few projects done.  But that's how it goes.

We have been doing things around the house, I promise.  Last Friday I took a day off of work and decided the backyard needed a little bit of a sprucing up.  We don't plan on doing any major work on the backyard until next year, but a little bit of a clean up was in need.


We have this wonderful planter in our backyard. Okay I didn't actually mean it was wonderful.  It's not wonderful.  It takes up a huge portion of the backyard and it sits between the door and the deck.  So to use the deck you have to walk all the way around the sun room and this planter.

And it's full of rocks.  No plants, no pretty things, no decorative rocks.  Just plain landscaping rocks and some asphalt chunks, and some cement chunks, and some broken Terra cotta.  I think it started out being something nice, but then the previous owners just chucked any sort of "rock" in it as time went on.

So I hated it.  I hated it with a passion.  It was full of leaves and sticks, two of the things Yoda loves to eat (hey she's a pug, she'll eat anything.  And no, we don't actually let her eat these things, they aren't good for her).  I wanted it gone.

We plan on building a deck that wraps all the way around the sun room and then having a little stone patio with a fire pit.  It sounds great.  I can't wait for this to happen.  But it won't even be started until next year.  That meant another year of staring at this awful thing.  So I decided to do something about it.

Last Friday I planned on adding flowers to this "thing".  But as I started, I reliezed it was hard to plant flowers in all those rocks and there was a barrier down to prevent things from growing.  So change of plans.  I moved all of the rocks out of there and behind the shed  


Oh yeah, all by myself, I moved all the rocks.  It took me a few hours to do, but I did it.  J didn't think I'd be able to do it, but I did.  I was so proud of myself.  I just loaded up my little gardening cart and slowly moved everything to the back of the yard.  I felt good.


Then I planted all my flowers and added some mulch that matched the stuff in the front of the house.  I also picked up a third window box (they are70% off at Joann's right now).  It looks so much better.  I still want it ripped out and a deck built in it's place, but it will make me happy this summer.


I didn't realize how washed out these pictures were until I uploaded them, so I'll try and get a couple nice ones tonight.  You'll have to take my word for it, it looks pretty nice.

I also replanted my mint plant and trimmed the hedges.  We also trimmed the maple tree in the back yard.  Now our yard looks fairly nice.  I just need a couple patio chairs and we can enjoy it.  

And for most of the weekend, I had my little friend keeping me company.


This is our yard bunny.  You can't really tell from the picture, but he's still a baby.  A very little baby.  We're not sure why he's so small, most of the baby bunnies are all grown up by now.  But he lives in the back yard and is pretty friendly.  I let him stay because I have fences around all of my plants, but the second he starts eating my plants, we will no longer be friends.

What did you accomplish this past weekend?  Anything exciting?

No comments: