Sunday, January 1, 2012

Kitchen Redo Reveal #1

Over the last two weeks J and I have been working nonstop on the house.  That's what I call a fun vacation.  Well maybe not exactly what I would a fantastic vacation, but we accomplished a lot and that feels good.

We are about 75% done with our kitchen redo.  It looks so nice and we are pretty damn happy with it.

Here is a quick peek at what it looked like when we first bought the house.  Luckily the original goldenrod counter tops and sink were replaced before we bought the car.  Too bad I don't have a picture of those, oh well.  A lot needed to be done.  It's a nice kitchen, but it was so out of date, we needed to update it and make it work for me (if you didn't already know this, I love to cook.  LOVE to cook.  I once thought of becoming a chef, but decided to go into science instead).   

 Here's a picture taken as you walk in our front door.  It wasn't necessarily a wonderful sight.  The large cabinet that was blocking the left side needed to go, I mean why didn't they just build a wall there.  The interesting hole in the wall on the right needed to go, it was for the landline phone if you were wondering.  The floor, the color, the.... well you get the point.  It was time for us to put our mark on this house, and what better room to do it in then in the kitchen.

Over the summer I stained all the cabinets and painted the walls and ceiling.  We replaced the old floor with groutable vinyl (which we are loving) and we opened up the room by taking out the cabinet and widening the door.  And over the last two weeks we finished up by changing out the lights, patching holes, putting up bead-board, and getting some counter tops ordered.  Now on to some reveal pictures.     


Here is the cabinet before the bead-board when up. We stained it walnut to match the rest of the kitchen cabinets.  And boy am in love with it.  I wasn't sure if I would like it stained, but have to admit it makes my heart flutter now. Oh and that's the lovely mess I had because I was also painting the inside of the cabinets, so everything just went on the counter.

Here's J putting the bead-board up. We used liquid nails on the back and then tacked it up using brad nails.  It went up quickly and looked great almost immediately.



Here's a picture of the side of the cabinets.  Look how pretty that looks.  I love you pretty bead-board.  You look so pretty.


 And here is the finished product.  We finished it off with some trim, also stained walnut.  It looks so much more finished then before.

I'm supper happy.  And what's on the other side?

 
A bookcase for all my cookbooks.  And there is even room for my rice cooker.  I love this addition to the kitchen.  It's a pretty simple addition, but one of my favorites.

So that is one of the many updates we've accomplished over our "vacation".  Stay tuned for some of the others.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!   

No comments: