Friday, July 6, 2012

Oh my!

So this week, we started the bathroom remodel.  It's going well so far, well as well as it could be going.  Only a few surprises.

We started with scraping the ceiling.  The paint has been peeling off the ceiling since we bought the house.  We've attributed this to the lack of vent fan in the bathroom, lets hope that's the problem.

This is what the ceiling looked like.


The lovely yellow color peaking through the lovely sea foam green color.  Oh, so pretty.  Oh wait, I mean the opposite of that, horrible. 

I spent an afternoon up on a ladder scraping all of the large pieces off.  Then we took a trip up to Menards, good thing we live so close, to pick up a scrubber for the angle grinder.  It worked fantastic!!!



It worked so well, the ceiling looked like this when we were done.


Wow, that's a lot of the old paint that came off.  It was searously just falling off.  I'm not sure what was happening, but we took care of it.

Then we primed with Fast Prime 2, one of my favorite primers.  Two coats of primer and we had this.


I'm actually the one that did all the painting.  J and one of his friends decided to swap out an engine on the hottest day of the year.  I know, crazy boys.

But anyway, back to painting.  Here is what the ceiling looked like after two coats of primer and two coats of paint (I also primed the walls).


You can still see where the paint had pealed off, but it's not too obvious.  You probable won't notice unless you were looking for it.  I'm calling this a success.  Now on to the rest of the room!!!! 

We are going to just paint the ceiling for now, but we plan on putting on a faux tin ceiling in here someday.  So we don't want to spend a lot of time right now on the ceiling.  And we're not doing the faux tin this year, because we don't have it in the budget.  Have you priced that stuff?  Oh my!  We have joked about buying one tile each time we go to the store.  Then it won't seem like so much.  Maybe we should do that.  I guess I'm off to research the interwebs for cheaper faux tin tiles.

Stay creative my friends.

No comments: