Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day two of projects

Last week I showed you how my first day of my mini vacation was spent, priming the porch.  And today I'll show you how I finished up that little vacation.  I was pretty excited with all the projects I got done and it gave me an opportunity to just forget about the lab for awhile.  So, it was time well spent in my eyes.

Let's take a look at all the things I got done.  Oh, I would like to apologize for the picture quality.  It was a miserable  rainy day, so most of the pictures are a little on the dark side.  Please forgive me :-)

  
First I touched up the trim in our bathroom.  We had a few pieces of trim that needed to be re-cut, so in turn, they needed to be repainted.  This was probably the easiest project of the day.


I also stained three more pieces of beadboard for the kitchen.  Here are all my supplies to get the job done.  I love the gel stain.  It took me a while to get used to working with it, but now I prefer it to other stains.


I use the method where you brush on the stain in nice even thin coats and just leave it.  You don't let it sit and then wipe the excess off with a rag.  In a way, you "paint" it on.  You just want to do it cleanly, because it is transparent and streaks will show.


And here is one of the pieces of beadboard finished.  How lovely.  Two of the pieces will go on the cabinet we installed early this year and the other will go next to the stove.


I also started painting the shelves that will go in our bedroom.  We will be using these little guys instead of night stands.  I can't wait to see them all together.


I'm using this Painter's Touch from Rust-oleum to paint them.  I really like this stuff.  It dries in about 2-4 hours and covers great.  I'll defiantly be using this in the future.

And speaking of painting, I finished my first coat of primer on the porch.


It looks so much brighter out there.  It always amazes me at how much a layer of paint can change something.  Now I can't wait to finish so I can start decorating out here.


Look at those pretty lights J installed.  We picked up the pair at the restore for $20 without an idea of what we were going to do with them (okay, we love lights, we have a slight problem).  J, using is engineering knowledge, turned these bad boys into plug in lights and we put them up on the porch.  It's wonderful having light out here.


Now all I need to do is apply a second coat of primer (I only stopped because I ran out of primer) and then two coats of paint and all the trim paint.  So, I'm almost done out here ;-)

Well I'm off.  This week, oncology is interviewing for a faculty position and us lab folk have to fill time by taking all the candidates out for lunch.  Not really something I want to do, but I guess it's part of the job.  So my week will be filled with long scientific talks and awkward lunches.  Sounds like fun!

What did you guys do over the weekend?  Have you ever taken a "vacation" to do work?

No comments: