Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Changes Have Begun!

Now that the holiday is over, we've finally started doing all those things that homeowners do to make a house there own.  Our first project, heat diffusers.
Old Heat Vent Covers

Now the old diffusers were made by a very talented person.  They were all hand made with different pictures.  But that's not quite our style.  So we replaced them with good old fashioned white metal diffusers.  What a difference.  I'm so happy with how they look.  Now I really can't wait to get the paint on the walls.  Oh beautiful Latte, I can't wait for you to go up.

New Heat Vent Covers
Then our next project wasn't really as simple as we thought it was going to be (isn't that how they all are).  There was a half wall as you walked in the front door. We wanted to take that down to open up floor plan as much as possible.  So J got out the tools and started taking it down. 

As we took it down, we learned that they the wall was built into the hardwood floors.  So who ever put up the wall, cut the floor up to put it in.  So now we have to figure out how to fix it.  Our solution, we're going to put in a nice tiled entry way.  It's just a small little area, so we can splurge and get some really nice tile. 
Look at that boy go!

But I do have to say, even with the hole in the floor, the living room looks so much nicer.  It's so open and big in here now.  Perfect.  Just what we wanted.
No more half wall!

J started to feel a little overwhelmed when we ripped that wall out.  He actually told me he was ready to go back to renting and he was going to play video games. I know he'll get over it.  And I'm sure both of our parents are waiting for the first phone call.  You know that phone call, the one where we are hysterical on the other end because something went terribly wrong and now they need to come fix it.  Yeah, I'm sure that day is coming. 

And the next project of the day was the band studio.  J and his band mates are taking down the paneling in the new "studio" and putting up new walls that will be hopefully sound proof.  I really do hope that it's as sound proof as possible.  I don't know how much I want to hear them practice.  They have to replace the drywall on one wall because the last owners just put up paneling as walls.  Just paneling nailed to some studs.  Not very sound proof.  That's the current project.  Today is "demolition" and then hopefully it will only take one more day to put the walls back up.

Tomorrow's plan is to go to the grocery store for some actual food, not just frozen pizzas.  And when we get home, the ceilings will be started.  J has a show tomorrow night (at the High Noon Saloon, if you're in the Madison area), so I'm sure I'll be doing the painting tomorrow while he practices and gets ready, but who cares.  I want the damn paint up. 

So more pictures tomorrow.  I'm hoping those pictures will have some walls with paint on them.  ;-)

No comments: