Friday, April 13, 2012

Yay it's the Weekend!

Now I know that I technically had a short week because I was sick for most of the week, but I'm still happy it's the weekend.  Well, almost the weekend.  And because I missed most of last weekend, I'll be happy to have a full weekend to catch up on stuff.  It's our first free weekend in a while, and will be our last free weekend for a while.  I know we're super popular.  Okay, it's not that, we just have crazy busy schedules.

But anywho, this weekend will bring us some free time to work on projects and it will bring us some much needed rain.  Now I know, a rainy weekend is sucky, but having to water my plants in April is weird and I will welcome the rain. 

And as soon as the weather warms up a bit more, I can plant these babies.  That there is my future garden.  All waiting for us to get the soil tilled and fertilized. 


I can't wait to start this year, I have so many new things I'm giving a try.  I already have 5 garlic plants going strong.  I made my own little peat pots this year.  I mean they aren't peat, but you get the idea.  I started some of the herbs a week or so ago, so they are sprouting like crazy.  They will be going in their respective pots soon.  Yay for fresh herbs and vegetables.

Sooooo, what did I plant (or am going to plant):
  • Roma tomatoes
  • Hybrid Super Sweet Cherry Tomatoes
  • Sweet Peppers
  • Jalapenos
  • Heirloom Picante Hot Pepper Mix
  • Short and Sweet Carrots
  • Broccoli
  • Green Onions
  • Red Onions
  • Garlic
  • Spinach
  • Leaf Lettuce Mix
  • Snow Peas
  • Dill
  • 4 kinds of Basil
  • Cilantro
  • Oregano
  • Parsley
  • Chives
  • Lavender
  • Rosemary
  • Arctic Kiwi
I think that's it.  We'll see if we want to add anything else.  I would love to do cucumbers but I don't know if we have room.  It's one of those things that we might have to wait until everything else is planted.  I also would love to do loofa, but I might wait until next year to try that.

And I cannot wait for my Arctic Kiwi.  I even talked someone at work into planting them as well.  The plants are really pretty and the fruit is awesome (or so I'm told).  Not like the traditional kiwi at all, but more melon like and without the skin.  How cool is that?

Do you plant a garden every year?  If you do, what do you normally plant?  This is only our second year with a real garden (we did containers before we bought the house), so any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  


I leave you with a picture of Fatty the Ferret enjoying a nap on the sun porch.  What a cutie pie.  Have a great weekend and as always never stop being creative.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so jealous! I had grand plans to plant some deck tomatos this year, but missed that. we've got no grass, so I need to be extra crafty about planting. Sigh...